INTRO TO WOOD SHOP
This class serves as an introduction to woodworking machinery and best practices.
Student makes their own key holder.
ABOUT THIS EVENT
The Woodworking Skills Introductory class will prepare you to develop your skills with an emphasis on the proper and safe use of woodworking machinery.
This is a semi-private class (maximum of 4) where the beginner and the long-term woodworker work side by side and each gain tremendously. The class is presented in such a way that it is easily understood by the novice. At the same time, the experienced woodworker will find that the work fills in all sorts of knowledge gaps that update and refresh their skills.
CLASS STRUCTURE AND HIGHLIGHTS:
- Orientation, “what is your experience working with power equipment?”
- Project: “The Key Holder”
- ROUGH WOOD SQUARING (likely the simplest yet most misunderstood process in the world of woodworking):
- The basic steps that should never be deviated from.
- Rough milling: Minimize waste by learning the practical rules of production.
- Jointing and milling with 100% accuracy. (Jointer, Planer and table saw)
- Sanding: What to do by hand, what to do by machine, and which machine will complete the task safely.
- Other tools covered in the class will be the Router Table, Table Saw, Chop Saw, Drill Press and Miter Saw.
- Group discounts available for multiple ticket purchases.
- If workshop is sold out and you have a group interested, please contact us directly to coordinate a new date.
- This is a 4 hour class on Saturday’s from 10:30am – 2:30pm.
- We require at least 3 participants to run the course. In the event we do not reach 3 participants we will reach out to reschedule for the following Saturday or issue a refund, whichever you prefer.
- Participants must be 18 or older. Or 15 or older if accompanied by an adult.
- Hearing protection and safety glasses will be provided by Maketory.
- Snacks and refreshments will be provided by Maketory.
- Tickets are nonrefundable (unless class is cancelled) and can not be used for another date.
- Maketory is a membership based facility. This class is open to nonmembers however, active members receive discounts on classes. If you are interested in membership please contact us at (858)252-1919 or email@example.com
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR: JERRY BEAUDRY
Originally from Chicago, Jerry’s interests in woodworking were developed at a young age with his father who was a general contractor building custom homes. When he relocated to San Diego, he became a Shipwright working in the local boat building yards building and refurbishing wooden vessels to 45 feet.
In 1999 he attended Palomar College where he refined his craft and in 2003 was asked to join the staff as an associate professor in the Cabinet and Furniture department teaching entry level classes and specialized classes in advanced table and chair making while owning and operating a successful custom cabinet and furniture business. He would later develop several advanced classes within the curriculum such as advance veneering techniques, and furniture design with CAD. In 2014 he headed up the CNC effort at the Palomar College to train designers and operators using several different wood CNC machines within the department.